Bastille, Louisa Johnson, Professor Green, You Me At Six, Will Joseph Cook, Creeper and Calum Scott to join BBC Radio 1 DJs in Hull for Radio 1’s Academy
BBC Radio 1 and BBC Learning have today unveiled the special guests, sessions, live music moments and Radio 1 broadcasts taking place at the Albemarle Music Centre from 21st - 25th May 2017 during Radio 1’s Academy - a week of inspiring free events in Hull aimed at helping 16-19 year olds kick-start their careers in the creative industries.
During the special week there will be Q&A’s and sessions from Radio 1 and 1Xtra DJs plus the likes of Bastille, You Me At Six, Professor Green, Nicola Roberts, Caspar Lee (YouTube star), Iain Stirling, Luisa Omielan, London Hughes,Rebecca Adlington OBE, Dan Walker, Ore Oduba, Jamie Laing, Charlotte Crosby and Radio 1 boss Ben Cooper; performances from acts including Bastille, You Me At Six, Creeper, Will Joseph Cook, Louisa Johnson and Calum Scott; a BBC Music Introducing gig that will provide a platform for local bands; plus sessions with TV and Radio insiders including Radio 1’s Head of Music and Radio 1’s film critic - with the opportunity for attendees to contribute on air on Radio 1.
As well as scheduled sessions, attendees can spend time in The Hangout, a drop in area with activities produced by BBC Learning showcasing the creative industries including music, technology, photography, publishing and fashion. There will be careers advice, live music and immersive virtual reality experiences. Plus there will be a host of hands-on music activity including music production, electronic jam sessions and an opportunity for local acts to showcase their talents. There will also be daily ticket giveaways to Radio 1’s Big Weekend.
Radio 1’s Academy will also be offering 10 attendees the chance to apply be a part of the Class of 2017, a unique opportunity offered by BBC Learning to get individually tailored careers advise, industry training and work placements at events like Radio 1’s Big Weekend.
Radio 1’s Academy is a free ticketed event. Tickets will be available exclusively to Hull residents on the 6th May at a special event that will see Radio 1’s Huw Stephens and Greg James co-hosting a BBC Radio 1 Piano Session live from the Albemarle Music Centre. Guests include Two Door Cinema Club’s Alex Trimble, Oh Wonder, Ghetts & Shakka and Blaenavon. As well as chatting to Huw and Greg, each act will perform an intimate stripped back session based around a single piano. Closing the night will be a live BBC Music Introducing gig co-hosted by Huw Stephens and Introducing in Humberside’s Alan Raw featuring performances from some of the most exciting upcoming local artists including FRONTEERS, Vulgarians and Serial Chiller. Ten pairs of tickets to Radio 1’s Big Weekend will also be given away at the event.
Radio 1’s Matt Edmondson says: “I'm really excited about Radio 1 bringing the Academy to Hull - it's always a great opportunity to hang out with enthusiastic Radio 1 listeners who are keen to know more about breaking into creative industries - I always come away from the Academy feeling inspired and energised ahead of Radio 1's Big Weekend, and I also end up learning lots of new things!”
Dan Gooding, Executive Producer, BBC Learning, says: “Radio 1’s Academy inspires young people from all backgrounds to explore creative careers. It’s fantastic to be in Hull as part of the city’s year as UK City of Culture. We’re really excited about the superb selection of stars, experts and workshops lined up and about providing the young people of Hull with unique insights into how they can thrive in the creative industries.”
Free tickets to Radio 1’s Academy Piano Sessions and BBC Introducing gig on 6th May can be found via the Radio 1 website. Tickets to Radio 1’s Academy (May 21-25) will be available nationwide from Monday 8th May via the Radio 1 website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5KtcmycS5YHrZJkLZvx5bym/what-is-radio-1-s-academy
Tickets for Radio 1’s Academy are also available here - http://bbcradio1sacademy.skiddletickets.com/events.php
Further session and ticketing details can be found online: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5KtcmycS5YHrZJkLZvx5bym/what-is-radio-1-s-academy
The activities set to take place in Hull between 21st - 25th May include:
Sunday 21st May 2017
- Matt Edmondson and Dev co-host a live Radio 1 show (10am-1pm) from The Albemarle.
- The series of performances from The Albemarle Music Centre will kick off with Creeper.
- After his live Radio 1 show Matt will be asking Reality TV stars Jamie Lang and Charlotte Crosby what goes on behind the scenes of Made In Chelsea and Geordie Shore. They are joined by a top TV Producer.
- DJ Dev hosts a star Q&A with Hull’s own Calum Scott answering questions from attendees and performing.
- Producers of Scott Mills’ show will lead an Innuendo Bingo workshop where attendees can learn how the format is shaped and maybe even have their script feature on the show.
- There will also be opportunities to meet the creators of YouTube phenomenon FuzzFeed working with them to make a new film all about this year’s Academy.
Monday 22nd May 2017
- You Me At Six perform live for Academy attendees. They will also be hosting a performance workshop and jam session afterwards, sharing their writing and performing tips with the Academy attendees.
- Scott Mills and Chris Stark broadcast live from Radio 1’s Academy (1-4pm).
- Digital star Caspar Lee will be dropping in to chat with Scott Mills about how attendees can go big on Social Media.
- BBC Three is represented by Dane Baptiste and Grace Victory who will be sharing tips from the frontline of filming sitcoms and documentaries. They’ll be joined by BBC Three Executive Editor Max Gogarty. Gemma Cairney hosts.
Tuesday 23rd May 2017
- Greg James broadcasts live from Radio 1’s Academy (4-7pm).
- Louisa Johnson and Will Joseph Cook perform at the Albemarle Music Centre. Will Joseph Cook and Louisa will be offering their advice to attendees in musical workshops afterwards.
- Greg James asks ex-Girl’s Aloud star Nicola Roberts guests how to write a hit.
- The BBC’s Dan Walker, Ore Oduba and Olympian turned Broadcaster Rebecca Adlington OBE are in conversation about sports journalism, presenting and punditry.
- Radio1 Newsbeat’s Nick Rotherham offers budding journalists a workshop on telling stories in a digital age with help from Buzzfeed’s Jane Bradley.
- Radio 1 Film Critic Ali Plumb delivers a reviewer’s masterclass with a difference and the chance for attendees to air their views on Radio 1.
- BBC Three filmmakers offer a workshop on using mobiles to film powerful content for the web.
Wednesday 24th May 2017
- Clara Amfo broadcasts live from Radio 1’s Academy (10-1pm).
- Bastille perform a Radio 1 Live Lounge from the Albemarle Music Centre, followed by an exclusive chance for Academy attendees to put their questions to Dan Smith who will be in conversation with Clara Amfo.
- BBC Radio 1’s Visualisation team will be filming the performance with attendees able to get hands-on experience alongside them.
- Professor Green will be in conversation with Radio 1 and 1Xtra’s Charlie Sloth. The pair discusses career highs, lows, music, documentaries and making it big in the creative world.
- Alice Levine joins Radio 1’s big boss Ben Cooper on stage - attendees will have the chance to quiz them and 1Xtra DJ Mim Shaikh on what goes on behind the scenes at Radio 1 and how to get a head start in the competitive industry.
Thursday 25th May 2017
- Radio 1 Music Editors Matt Fincham and Ryan Newman reveal the secrets of the Radio 1 playlist, offering attendees the chance to discover how to get their records played on the station.
- There’s a chance for more industry insights - and a laugh - as comedians London Hughes, Iain Stirling and Luisa Omielan join Alice Levine to talk about making a career from comedy.
- Closing the night will be a live BBC Music Introducing gig co-hosted by Phil Taggart and Introducing in Humberside’s Alan Raw featuring performances from some of the most exciting, upcoming local artists including CHAMBERS.
- The Albemarle event follows the successful start of BBC Radio 1’s Academy residency in Hull which has seen Calum Scott, Dynamo, Raleigh Ritchie and several Radio 1 DJs visiting the city to deliver creative sessions with local students.
- The BBC Radio’s 1 Piano Sessions performances and interviews will be recorded for broadcast on Huw Stephens’ Radio 1 show on Mon 8th and Tues 9th May (10pm-1am).
- Radio 1’s Piano Sessions, hosted by Huw Stephens on his BBC Radio 1 show (10pm-1am Mon-Wed) have been running since November 2014. Since then rising stars and favourite alternative acts such as Alessia Cara, Kano, Blossoms, Mura Masa & Nao and Ludovico Einaudi have shown off a different side to their live show by stripping it all right back for an intimate performance based around the piano. Each act performs one of their own songs plus a cover of a song new or old.
- BBC Learning delivers the BBC’s public purpose to promote education and is central to fulfilling the BBC’s mission to inform, educate and entertain. BBC Learning aims to transform lives through education through BBC Bitesize, BBC Teach and Live Lessons and major education campaigns aimed at effecting tangible change such as the BBC micro:bit campaign, BBC Terrific Scientific and #LovetoRead.